1.20.2011

Psalm 51:10-12

Tuesday nights Jason plays basketball, Peyton and I have girl time, I eat things I can't convince Jason to eat, I run, I write letters, and I read. There is nothing I love more than my time with Jason, but Tuesday nights feel a little like college and I like that.

This Tuesday night my neighbor called me. She was crying. I had just gotten in from a run. I had a list of Sarah things that I wanted to do. She asked if I could come over. I hesitated. I thought of all of the "me" things that I was looking forward to, and then I said of course I would come over.

My neighbor is hurting. Her heart hurts and Tuesday her head was in physical pain with a migraine. All she needed was someone to put pressure on her temples and ease the pain. Mercy and compassion are not my strongest character traits, but that does not mean that I am not expected to exhibit them. I am commanded to love my neighbor as myself.. and unfortunately my actions say that I love myself a lot..

So I rubbed her head, I brought her to our house, I gave her water (in a TN cup for a Bulldogs fan!) and we cared for our neighbor.

And later I cried.. to which Jason would say A) surprise and 2) why are you leaking?!?! what's wrong?!... but for a change I wasn't crying for myself, but for the state of someone else's heart. We have been praying over and over for Jesus to dwell within our hearts and for the Holy Spirit to ambush every facet of our lives.

I hesitated to write about this for fear that it would seem as if it were about our good deeds and it is not. It is about obedience. It is about loving your neighbor. And it is about asking God to change your heart and the small moments when you realize those prayers are being answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment