1.13.2011

Filled to the brim...

... to grasp how wide, and high and long and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge- that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
- Ephesians 3: 18-19

Today I listened to Mark Driscoll preach on this section of Paul's letter to the church at Ephesus. He talked about how that word grasp does not signify an action taken on our behalf because that would signify a works based faith and that is not what God commands of us, but rather an action taken by the Trinity on our behalves. Driscoll stated that the literal meaning of the word grasp here means ambush. That when we enter into true prayer with the Father He will find us where we are and surround us on all sides with his holy Trinity.

In the early church when Christians were being persecuted they would draw a cross in the sand and write on the top: HIGH, the bottom: DEEP, the left side: LONG and the right side: WIDE. To remind them that in the face of suffering, as in any other time, the reaches of God's love for them (demonstrated on the cross) was endless.

I have been trying to mute the noise and stresses that constantly buzz in my mind and heart and I am going to put this into effect on my runs. No ipod, no noise, just emptiness. I hope that in my silence, solitude, and suffering God will hear my hearts cry. That I will empty myself and make room in my heart to be ambushed by the Holy Spirit and that Jesus Christ may dwell there in full.




No comments:

Post a Comment