1.24.2011

Almost everyday I love being in Georgia. I love being away from everyone and everything we know. I love that for the most part we have no demands on our time. I love the adventure of a new place. I really love the weather and the beach isn't so bad either.

But there are some days that creep up on me in the night. I go to bed glad to be a Georgia peach and I wake up in the morning with a longing for the hills of Tennessee. I do not miss TN because I believe it is better than Georgia. I miss TN because on days like today it still feels like home.

I miss my mamaw. I miss driving over the bridge to her house and looking at the Smokies in the distance. I miss spending time with her and joking about how old she is over a plate of pinto beans, macaroni, fried potatoes and biscuits... that I didn't have to cook.

I miss my brother. A lot. So much sometimes I want to cry. I miss Travis, Kayla, Jason and I hanging out every Friday night. Sitting, talking, laughing. No plans, no entertainment. Just each other.

I miss my friends and the ease that college let us hang out. I miss getting together for One Tree Hill with Cait and Lill and Sadie. I miss driving to the mountains in the middle of the night totally unprepared just to look at the stars without any other light around. I miss walking to Pilot in December just for powdered donuts and milk.

I miss driving to the boro for no reason at all.. mostly on weekends and sometimes on a random Tuesday. Donut country, airplanes, Friends and the Office. Playing in meadows barefoot and nasty splinters. I miss Andie and Billy. And Bump n Grind volleyball.

I miss when all of my family lived in one city. And we could all hang out together without ridiculously long drives.

I miss hugs, more than I can even begin to say in words.

I love that Jason and I got to move away and be married and just enjoy one another. I love that I am lucky enough to have so many things that fill my heart, and in their absence make it ache.

Tomorrow I will be happy to be in Georgia again. Today I wish it was close enough that we could drive over after work. And love on one another long enough to forget that growing up is sometimes stressful and lonely. And we would laugh. And hug.



No comments:

Post a Comment