12.07.2010

We have deep depth. - Yogi Berra

The last few summers we spent in Tennessee one of my favorite things to do was run the golf course at sunset. Right after dinner I would set off on the hilly course and run along the water. The feel of a July heat giving way to a summer night is my favorite running partner. I would run the course until it reached the yacht club and then turn around and head back to Jason's house, where the highlight of the run awaited. The finaly twenty yards of my runs were a bit hectic as I would shed shoes (and socks in the off chance that I wore any) and sprinted at full speed off the end of the dock into the dark water. There is absolutely no better way to finish a run than to sink into warm water and stretch burning limbs.

I was randomly reminded of this sensation last Friday night. Jason and I love Friday nights. The week is over and we have 72 hours of uninterrupted time together. We try to spend our Friday evenings with take out and a Red Box. This past Friday we watched Grown Ups and we loved it! It was hilarious with an underlying moral. Toward the end of the movie one of the characters says, "In life the first act is always exciting, but it is the second act- that's where the depth is." Jason looked at me and said, "I enjoyed the excitement of our relationship, but I love the depth of our marriage."

You see, that's where we are; happily drowning in the depth of marriage. We have settled into our roles. We have settled into one anotehr. And it is as comforting as warm July water after a long, long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment